Resources for Parents
It is not easy to watch your child suffer from anxieties. The following resources offer information about anxiety in children, tips on how to help your child cope with anxiety, and support for parents and families.
- Dr. Anand Prabhu, from CHEO, provides excellent information and strategies for parents of children living with anxiety at: “Helping Children Cope with Fear and Anxiety”.
- Dr. Michael Cheng, MD, offers a comprehensive guide for families at: Overcoming Anxiety: Guide for Families.
- Parent’s Lifelines of Eastern Ontario (PLEO) (613.321.3211) is a non-profit, volunteer-driven family support organization for families whose children, youth, or young adults up to age 24 are dealing with mental health issues.
If a child in your care is actively suicidal, at risk of harm to him/herself or to another, they should be brought immediately to the emergency room of the nearest hospital.
Semi-Urgent or Non-Urgent Care
If you are looking for mental health services for a child or adolescent, the following are great places to start:
- Your family physician.
- Walk-in clinics and anxiety resource centres. Two such places aimed at children and youth in Ottawa are the Youth Services Bureau (12 to 20 years of age) and Crossroads Children’s Centre (up to 12 years).
- Private practice counsellors such as psychologists, social workers, or certified counsellors. A database of counsellors is available online through Psychology Today.
- Your Employee Assistance Program (if available).
Physician-Referred Program at CHEO and the Royal Ottawa Hospitals
The Royal Ottawa and CHEO have a partnership called the Children and Youth – Specialized Psychiatric and Mental Health Services program (CY-SPMHS). Children under 16 are primarily treated at CHEO, whereas the Royal generally serves youth between 16 and 18 years of age. The CY-SPMHS team collaborates with community-based youth mental health services. Patients must be referred by a physician. Physicians wishing to make a referral must contact centralized intake at 613-737-2496 or toll free at 1-866-737-2496.